Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Open links in new window

ARCHIVES

Feedback?...

EMAIL ME or AOL IM ME  

No more format wars!

No More Petitions!

Retriever Weekly Articles

Movies I Wanna See! (UPDATED! Recently!)

        LINKS AHOY!

     SEARCH THE NET

 What did you expect, Jeeves?                DVD/FILM        

 

  Roger Ebert on the Movies

[Roger Ebert on the Movies]

      

                   HUMOR                  (oft inappropriate, natch)        

[Something Awful]

 

 

 The Onion, America's Finest News Source[The Onion: This link required by law]

MISC. KNOWLEDGE

G33KY 5+UFF

TheForce.net

TheOneRing.net

TechTV.com

24 Forum

MISCELLANOUS    

FSHB ;-)

Spinsanity

Wil Wheaton      

Brooks's Site

UMBC: Homepage

           Livejournal

           Forums

Amazon.com

Want your link here? All you have to do is ask...

[Blue Ribbon Campaign- STOP CENSORSHIP!]
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

This page is powered by Blogger. No plagiarism, buster, or I'm callin' John Ashcroft!

Monday, October 21, 2002

 

Geek Factor 11

I've put myself under mandatory reading restrictions: no reading anything in print (exceptions: minimal periodicals; TV Guide, etc.) until I finish Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Not as if it's a difficult read, that I'm supposedly forcing myself to read something I don't want to. To the contrary- I'm really enjoying it (Treebeard rocks, just got to Gandalf the White around p. 115), and I really, really, really want to complete it before the movie's release less than two months from now. I'm past a quarter done out of 400+ pages. Cheer me on; I have a feeling this school year is not going to get any easier as it progresses.

read or die. hehe

Unfortunately there's a casualty from my link list over on the left. Arts and Letters Daily is no longer. I'm mulling over what I should replace it with. As a tribute, an elegy if you will, here's some quotes on censorship, against which aldaily was a strong force, or something like that:

"The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book."

- Walt Whitman

"Books won't stay banned -
Ideas won't go to jail."

- Alfred Whitney Griswold

"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit
reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to
be either fools or slaves."

- Claude-Adrien Helvetius

"Every burned book enlightens the world."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

_________________________________________________________

Want more coagulated brilliance? (And who doesn't?) Then go to the archives and read the oldies to your heart's content. Don't like this blog? Click here to move on to another... Come on back now, ya hear?