Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Open links in new window

ARCHIVES

Feedback?...

EMAIL ME or AOL IM ME  

No more format wars!

No More Petitions!

Retriever Weekly Articles

Movies I Wanna See! (UPDATED! Recently!)

        LINKS AHOY!

     SEARCH THE NET

 What did you expect, Jeeves?                DVD/FILM        

 

  Roger Ebert on the Movies

[Roger Ebert on the Movies]

      

                   HUMOR                  (oft inappropriate, natch)        

[Something Awful]

 

 

 The Onion, America's Finest News Source[The Onion: This link required by law]

MISC. KNOWLEDGE

G33KY 5+UFF

TheForce.net

TheOneRing.net

TechTV.com

24 Forum

MISCELLANOUS    

FSHB ;-)

Spinsanity

Wil Wheaton      

Brooks's Site

UMBC: Homepage

           Livejournal

           Forums

Amazon.com

Want your link here? All you have to do is ask...

[Blue Ribbon Campaign- STOP CENSORSHIP!]
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

This page is powered by Blogger. No plagiarism, buster, or I'm callin' John Ashcroft!

Sunday, August 11, 2002

 

Not too much to talk about right now, but I am working hard on the new site features. Trust me, it'll be smashing!

But right now, I'd like to have a brief dicussion about psychic powers. First off, let me say that I am the most skeptical person when it comes to the supernatural. I dismiss practically everything that has to do with "the world beyond out own" as pure bunk, idiotic and sometimes highly-calculated pap. All this is true for most of us, until it happens to you personally...

There are so many instances of things that come into my head, and later show up again in the real world. Case in point: coming home from the fair the other day, I noticed one of those roadside memorials for victims of a carcrash. Now, knowing the nature of most people to be rather nosy and easily distracted, it popped into my mind that, ironic as it may be, such tributes could actually contribute to accidents rather than serve as a cautionary symbol to prevent fatal car wrecks. So, much later that night (in fact, it was a little after 1:00 A.M.) I was listening to a radio show that I just about never listen to (that of Dr. Dean Edell), when the host read a news story that stated exactly my thoughts from earlier! Apparently some municipality somewhere had banned these highway shrines because they were hazardously distracting for drivers. Weird, eh? Sent a killer shiver down my spine, that's for sure.

These things happen at least every week, if not quite as dramatically as that last one. Another example is movie box-office weekend grosses. The funny thing with these is, I usually guess, on the nose, the estimated take that is announced on Sundays and corrected for the real results the next day. Two days ago someone asked what XXX would make over the weekend. I thought hard, considering Signs' $60 million pay-day last week, as well as the other new releases. I guessed 52, then corrected myself with a somewhat educated guess of 46 million bucks. You want to know what the initial estimates are for August 9-11? Click here. Tomorrow, they'll change it by a few million most likely.

So the obvious question for any psychic is, Why don't you use your powers to deduce the next winning lotto number, take your cash, and then leave us all alone? I cannot speak for the Miss Cleos of the world, but all I know is these 'things' just pop into your head almost at random. You don't notice anything unusual until later, when your prophetic vision comes to pass. Sometimes it's a song that's stuck in your head, and the next time you turn on the radio, Boom! Hits you like a ton of bricks. Well, maybe that's a little dramatic. These things happen, I'm told, to nearly everyone. But when someone tells you a story like I just did, don't dismiss it out of hand; weird things do happen in the mind. Remember, as the afore-mentioned lottery like to say...

It could happen to you!

0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

_________________________________________________________

Want more coagulated brilliance? (And who doesn't?) Then go to the archives and read the oldies to your heart's content. Don't like this blog? Click here to move on to another... Come on back now, ya hear?