Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Open links in new window

ARCHIVES

Feedback?...

EMAIL ME or AOL IM ME  

No more format wars!

No More Petitions!

Retriever Weekly Articles

Movies I Wanna See! (UPDATED! Recently!)

        LINKS AHOY!

     SEARCH THE NET

 What did you expect, Jeeves?                DVD/FILM        

 

  Roger Ebert on the Movies

[Roger Ebert on the Movies]

      

                   HUMOR                  (oft inappropriate, natch)        

[Something Awful]

 

 

 The Onion, America's Finest News Source[The Onion: This link required by law]

MISC. KNOWLEDGE

G33KY 5+UFF

TheForce.net

TheOneRing.net

TechTV.com

24 Forum

MISCELLANOUS    

FSHB ;-)

Spinsanity

Wil Wheaton      

Brooks's Site

UMBC: Homepage

           Livejournal

           Forums

Amazon.com

Want your link here? All you have to do is ask...

[Blue Ribbon Campaign- STOP CENSORSHIP!]
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

This page is powered by Blogger. No plagiarism, buster, or I'm callin' John Ashcroft!

Friday, December 20, 2002

 

Here I am with nothing I have to do (for the first time in months), but not that much to say. I will attempt to spit out my thoughts concerning The Two Towers.

Hmm... Wow. How do I put this? It was both better than I expected (and I was expecting a lot, believe me!), and just a smidgen disappointing in a few respects. Still, what a mammoth of a film! There really has never been anything at this scale and its grandeur puts it on a level of pure, unabashed filmmaking never before attempted. Any criticisms of mine must be weighed against the sense of awe and marvel that LOTR: TTT inspires.

A few critiques: (the most minor of spoilers ahead)

I have to concur with most in the Tolkien fan community that a few of the major changes in the story were for the worse. Essentially, Faramir (the late Boromir's brother) comes off very poorly in the adaptation, in contrast to the highly likeable character of the book. And what was the deal with the Elves at Helm's Deep? The audience I was with responded with cheers as those golden clad (my favorite armor in the films) warriors marched to the gates. I just don't think that was part of the storyline as the author intended. My biggest complaint is not really a criticism of the film per se; just how the trilogy was divided. Anyone who's read the novel remembers the amazing cliffhanger that stands as the climax of TTT. Just wonderful! But the film ends differently, a little earlier in fact. So I cannot really judge how it will be shown in what will most likely be next year's greatest film, and perhaps the best of the Ring saga, the Return of the King.

0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

_________________________________________________________

Want more coagulated brilliance? (And who doesn't?) Then go to the archives and read the oldies to your heart's content. Don't like this blog? Click here to move on to another... Come on back now, ya hear?